[syslinux] question

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 22 23:47:27 PST 2013

> > 17 Jan 2013 :
> >
> > 1_  Changed the second line to PROMPT 0
> >
> > 3_changed line again to "DEFAULT vesamenu.c32
> >
> > Boots Fine.  Actual boot entries also work.
>
> Feel very sorry to inform you that,  to day i.e.Wedensday, 23 Jan 2013
> NOTICED that the followings are NOT working properly.
> (1)  LABEL ghost
> MENU LABEL ^1. GHOST
>  LINUX /DiskImages/memdisk
>  INITRD /DiskImages/WnimGho.img
> TEXT HELP
> Tool to get Windows partition images
> ENDTEXT
>
> (2) LABEL duse49
> MENU LABEL ^4. Duse49
>  LINUX /DiskImages/memdisk
>  INITRD /DiskImages/duse49.img
> TEXT HELP
> Enables Ghost 11.5 to Save/Restore ".GHO" images to/from PenDrives !!
> Scaning USB Devices takes @1Min.
> ENDTEXT
>
> (3) LABEL usbghost
> MENU LABEL ^5. Boot USB Ghost
> # LINUX memdisk
> LINUX /DiskImages/memdisk
>  INITRD /DiskImages/usbghost.img
> TEXT HELP
> Enables Ghost 8.00 to Save/Restore ".GHO" images to/from PenDrives !!
> Scaning USB Devices takes @1Min.
> ENDTEXT
>
> Each starts o.k. but soon after the machine is Shut Down.

I have no way to know what "starts OK" means. Please be more
specific.

I noticed that in those boot entries, you are using MEMDISK with a
path that is not "O:\syslinux\memdisk". You should copy the "memdisk"
file from the official Syslinux 5.00 archive into the "O:\syslinux\"
directory and then change those boot entries according to the new
path for MEMDISK.

There is one additional "little" thing I notice in those entries. In
my previous emails, I _specifically_ mentioned that Syslinux 5.00 has
a bug regarding multiple text lines between TEXT HELP - ENDTEXT
directives. The way you posted those entries in your email, they seem
to be using more than one text line between those directives. If this
is the way you are actually using them, then sadly you will need to
temporarily change them, as the situation has not changed since I
wrote about it before. Hopefully the bug will be solved in the near
future. Please re-read my previous emails.

> The above three are available on a CD also. They were working o.k. as
> per  "my  .cfg" file previously.
>
> But NOW, they don't, there too machine is Shut Down.

As above, not enough information. Please start with the changes I
suggested (regarding "memdisk" and "TEXT HELP - ENDTEXT") and report
back.

Regards,
Ady.