[syslinux] PATH directive rules

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 27 06:14:02 PST 2013

Hello Syslinux Team,

If I understand correctly (and I should emphasize that condition),
the lib*.c32 library modules, when required, are initially
searched-for according to the following (fallback) rules:

1_ Search for the relevant lib*.c32 file(s) in the Current Working
Directory.
2_ Search for the relevant lib*.c32 file(s) in the directory where
ldlinux.c32 is located.

Then the lib*.c32 files are searched-for according to the PATH
directive, as follows:
3_ Search for the relevant lib*.c32 file(s) in the paths indicated by
the PATH directive, in the same order as they are stated.
4_ Each path used in each PATH directive is appended to the end of
the list of the searched-for paths previously set.

So, I have several questions.

1_ Am I understanding the PATH rules correctly?
2_ From the user's perspective, are there any differences (or
different behaviors) between each Syslinux variant regarding the
above rules?
3_ After fallback rules #1 and #2, and before searching for lib*.c32
files according to the PATH directive, a possible third fallback rule
could potentially be: "search for the relevant lib*.c32 file(s) in
the same directory where the main c32 module (the one that needs the
c32 library file(s)) resides". Is this addition possible? Would there
be any disadvantages? Are there any problems in adding this third
fallback rule, before searching according to the PATH directive?
4_ According to the rules, some of the resulting paths could
potentially be searched-for more than once. If a specific path was
already searched-for, is there a situation where it could be
searched-for again, thus wasting time and resources? Or, instead, is
this duplicity avoided?

TIA,
Ady.