[syslinux] PATH directive rules

Matt Fleming matt at console-pimps.org
Tue Jan 29 07:58:51 PST 2013

On Tue, 2013-01-29 at 10:48 +0200, Ady wrote:
> > But for all variants, wherever we find ldlinux.c32, that's used as the
> > initial PATH string.
> >

> Thank you for your answers.
>
> I want to understand what exactly the word "initial" means here.

It's used as the PATH string before any PATH directives are parsed in
config files, meaning that the location of ldlinux.c32 will always be
the first string in PATH, since PATH directives can only be appended.

> What happens with the searched-for paths when using the CONFIG directive
> to change the CWD? Is the new CWD added to the searched-for paths? Is
> the "old" (previously set as - but no longer is the) CWD still
> included in the searched-for paths?

If the old CWD is the directory in which we found ldlinux.c32, then it
will be included in PATH.

But remember that the CWD is *always* searched before the entries in
PATH.

> Having now:
> A_ "old" CWD;
> B_ "new" CWD;
> C_ ldlinux.c32 location;
> D_ PATH directive(s) stated in "old" cfg files;
> E_ PATH directive(s) stated in "new" cfg files;
>
> in which specific (sort) order are the respective paths searched for
> lib*.c32 files?

B, C, D, E. Note that A is not searched unless it's equal to one of the
other letters.

Make sense?

--
Matt Fleming, Intel Open Source Technology Center