[syslinux] Boot Linux ram disk image from DOS prompt

Leandro Becker Lbecker at positivo.com.br
Wed Jan 30 10:17:57 PST 2013

I'm using the 16f version. The error messages are not confidential, but
hard to get from the screen. If you think it should be working, maybe
I'm configuring the command line wrongly. Right now, the commands I'm
using are:

loadlin bzImage initrd=init.gz rw root=/dev/ram0

But got errors telling that the RAM disk is smaller that the kernel
think.

Right now I will follow you advice and check the comboot approach.

Do you think is possible when booting a DOS image with ramdisk make
some configuration in syslinux to allow the fresh booted DOS see and
also "mount" my USB media device like an drive B: or something? Thus I
can manipulate the syslinux.cfg in the DOS to decide what to boot next.

One thing I'm starting to consider is the new lua support. I will check
the docs more deply if is possible to use it to check for and create
files on my usb memory stick. If possible, I can resolve my needs with
it.

Thank you!

>>> Em Quarta, 30 de Janeiro de 2013 às 12:33, na mensagem
<51092F4C.5070605 at foken.de>, Alexander Foken <alexander at foken.de>
gravou:

On 01/30/2013 12:04 PM, Leandro Becker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There is a way to boot a ram disk Linux from DOS prompt like the old
> tool loadlin.exe? I tried it, but getting errors.

Check the loadlin version. Loadlin 16f, released 2012-09-17, is the
current one, it should be able to boot recent kernels. 16e, released
2010-08-25, may damage the initial ramdisk when loading Linux. 16d,
released 2009-02-08, contains code to boot Linux >= 2.6.23, but it
probably does not boot recent linux kernels.

Alexander

--
Alexander Foken
mailto:alexander at foken.de  http://www.foken.de/alexander/