[syslinux] 5.01 DISPLAY file last line

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 31 08:10:09 PST 2013

> On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 14:57:19 +0200 Ady <ady-sf at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > There is a problem with the last line of DISPLAY files in Syslinux
> > 5.01.

> > Note that the last line in "help.txt" is "LINE 3 OF help.txt" and
> > that there is no CR nor LF characters in that last line.
> >
> > When pressing F1, the last line of "help.txt" is "not displayed". Or,
> > more accurately, it is "overwritten" when the "boot:" prompt is
> > displayed.
>
> Looks like a CR (without LF) is being added to the last line of the
> help.txt file here?

I don't know how the email and its content gets to you. I think I
gave enough details so to replicate the files and the resulting
behavior. If the behavior can't be replicated with the exact same
conditions I described (or if more details are needed), just let me
know.

> > In Syslinux 5.01, the "boot:" prompt appears at the first column of
> > the row (line) of the screen.
> >
> > When using "cat1" (press "enter" in the above syslinux.cfg file) the
> > "boot:" prompt will be displayed in the same last line of "help.txt",
> > but _after_ the last character of the file.
>
> And cat.c32 does not add any characters at all.

I am not sure about which additional characters you are talking
about. I wonder if my description was not clear enough so to be
replicated.

> > PS: I was searching the old reports in the ML archives so to add
> > their links here (in case they are of some use), but it is getting
> > more difficult to find archived emails when the archives can't be
> > indexed by any web search engine
> > anymore.
>
> I am using google to do this: add
> "inurl:www.zytor.com/pipermail/syslinux/" to your search terms.

Sure, but you won't get any results from the ML since 2012-NOV-01,
even if you use alternative urls for the ML, unless a specific email
was linked-to in some other site that is indeed being indexed. This
is my recent experience with any web search engine.

Anyway, this thread is about the DISPLAY files issue in Syslinux
5.01.

TIA,
Ady.