[syslinux] replacing ldlinux.sys

Alakesh alakesh.haloi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 15:00:38 PST 2013

I need to debug some issue in second stage of syslinux boot, i.e.
ldlinux.sys. I have put a few debug instructions in core/diskstart.inc and
recompiled everything. The newly obtained ldlinux.sys confirms to the size
restriction for the boot sector.  Now how do o replace the current
/boot/ldlinux.sys file with mine. I tried removing the immutable flag and
then doing a copy. Nothing changes. It still loads the old one. If i delete
/boot/ldlinux.sys, it reappears from somewhere. I have used dd to copy the
new ldlinux.sys to the old one and no luck.  Has anyone successfully
updated ldlinux.sys?  I thought using the the "make install-all" facility
will help ,but it complains about my gcc version in the xenserver i am
using and many other dependencies. Right now i am recompiling syslinux in
an ubuntu 12.10 vm and copying the binary to the xenserver to install onto
it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Alakesh