[syslinux] Problems with gfxboot.c32

Matt Fleming matt at console-pimps.org
Wed Jul 3 05:11:21 PDT 2013

On Wed, 03 Jul, at 12:22:52PM, Andreas Heinlein wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently trying to get the gfxboot archive from Ubuntu 12.04
> working with gfxboot.c32 under BIOS, using ISOLINUX 6.
>
> AFAIK, the Ubuntu patches have been added in 4.03, and in fact it
> works with the official 4.05 release, but not with 5.10 or
> 6.01-pre5.
>
> I can tell that the menu is actually working, you just don't see it.
> If you navigate it "blind", the correct entries start as usual.
> What I get is a blank screen with a little gray rectangle in the
> bottom left corner, whereas a picture from "access.pcx" should be
> displayed instead. If you press "Esc" to get to the actual menu, the
> rectangle disappears and the screen is all blank. If you then press
> "Esc" again to leave gfxboot mode, the usual "You are about to leave
> GUI mode...." dialog appears, except that there is no text, just the
> window frame and the buttons. You can enter text mode from here, and
> then everything works like it should.
>
> Any ideas how to debug this?

Probably the best way to debug this is to try and work out which
features aren't working correctly, and produce the minimal config
necessary to reproduce the bug.

Which would be as simple as,

  menu background splash.png

FYI, I've grabbed the 12.10 Ubuntu install cd and am in the process of
debugging this.

--
Matt Fleming, Intel Open Source Technology Center