[syslinux] Dell OptiPlex GX620 can longer boot from CD with syslinux-5.X

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 10:56:57 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM, Patrick Verner <distrozilla at gmail.com> wrote:
> We have tried compiling the binaries our self and using the pre-compiled in
> the syslinux tar ball as well. It just locks up with the text we provided.

Thanks.  I'm assuming by this you mean it always ends with the cursor
1 space away from "ETCD", regardless the binaries tested.  I'd guess
that isolinux-debug.bin might not help (but may be worth a shot).

> The problem is booting from CD, booting from USB works. I suspect the
> problem is in isolinux.bin. The CD only fails on this one machine. It works
> on everything else we tried. 4.06 worked without any issue on this same
> machine. Parted Magic has been around for 8 years now and we are

That's good that 4.06 works.

> quite familiar with syslinux and booting live media. This is an obvious
> regression and we are willing to do as much testing as required. If you
> need anything, let us know.

My guess is an interaction with the memory map/use that's different
between CD and USB boot.  Could you do screen captures of the output
of meminfo.c32 when booting ISOLINUX-4.06 as a CD and SYSLINUX-4.06 as
a USB?  I'm guessing this information will likely help.

> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 4:11 AM, Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 2, 2013 7:37 PM, "Patrick Verner" <distrozilla at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > System: Dell OptiPlex GX620 (Both BIOS A10 and A11 affected)
>> > Medium: Physical CD-RW
>> > Observed: ISOLINUX 5.11 0x51D1AE48 ETCD_ is the only line displayed
>> > on-screen. A flashing cursor trails at the end of the line. Escape key
>> does
>>
>> Is "ISOLINUX 5.11 0x51D1AE48 ETCD_" (assuming the '_' is the cursor) the
>> only thing displayed? Could you try the precompiled binaries?  Tried
>> testing that CD in that under a Linux envirinmt?
>>
>> > not return boot: prompt.
>> > Line1 of syslinux.cfg: DEFAULT vesamenu.c32
>> > Note: Reverting to syslinux-4.06 allows for successful booting on the
>> same
>> > system.
>> >
>> > Patrick

-Gene