[syslinux] Syslinux 5.11-pre7 not working

Shantanu Gadgil shantanugadgil at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 3 23:22:27 PDT 2013

Hi,

I am a happy user of version 4.06 and have been hoping to upgrade the 5.x series (for the HTTP bits).
I have the following problems with the 5.11-pre7 build:

1. TFTP load is horribly slow ... even when the two REAL machines are connected to the same switch.
For a typical RHEL installation, the vmlinuz loads ... the initrd.img loads very very slowly and just times out (I waited over 10 mins)

A minor issue: The TFTP doesn't clear screen before the "kernel" start loading so the text appears on top of the splash (at the bottom if the screen) ... :(

The above two are NOT seen on the 4.06 branch.

2. HTTP loading just doesn't work! :( :(
I have tried these with the 4.10, 5.10, 5.11 branches, no luck!

As of today I have noticed an error message:.
--- msg ---
failed: no such file or directory
--- msg ---

Ofcouse I can wget/firefox this file fine! :) :)

The corresponding entry in my 'default' file is:
--- snip ---
label   rhel-6.4-x86_64-http
menu label RHEL 6.4 (x86_64) HTTP (Experimental; DO NOT USE)
kernel http://A.B.C.D/os/rhel/6.4/x86_64/disc1/images/pxeboot/vmlinuz
initrd http://A.B.C.D/os/rhel/6.4/x86_64/disc1/images/pxeboot/initrd.img
append lang=en_US keymap=us ip=dhcp noipv6 method=http://A.B.C.D/os/rhel/6.4/x86_64/disc1 vga=785
--- snip ---

If the following helps:
Server (OptiPlex 755) lspci:
# lspci  | grep -i network
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 02)

Client (OptiPlex 960) lspci:
# lspci | grep -i network
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 02)

Regards,
Shantanu