[syslinux] gfxboot again - EFI64

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Thu Jul 4 06:03:06 PDT 2013

Hello,

I think I found another problem with gfxboot, and I think it is
completely unrelated to the 'packed archive' issue.

Again I tried using gfxboot with the Ubuntu gfxboot archive, this time
with EFI64, using a real EFI-capable machine. I first verified that
everything else actually works by commenting out 'ui gfxboot bootlogo'
and got a working menu. Uncommented the line again, and the screen goes
black immediately, no output at all. This time it's also really not
working, no 'blind' typing possible, default entry will not boot after
timeout.

The same with a minimal config. I must say that I used a USB drive
instead of a DVD this time, for convenience. And I'm not sure if I got
the file layout right. It had a GPT table with a single FAT32 partition.
I copied syslinux.efi to \EFI\BOOT\BOOTx64.efi; ldlinux.e64 to
\ldlinux.sys and everything else (syslinux.cfg, gfxboot archive, *.c32
files from efi64/com32) to \boot\syslinux\.
But since the vesamenu worked, I think this is correct.

Just to be sure, I also tested with an unpacked gfxboot archive, but
again nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andreas

P.S.: While I'm typing this, I can see that the test machine eventually
reboots after 2 or 3 minutes of black screen - no idea if this helps.