[syslinux] Syslinux 5.11-pre7 not working

Shantanu Gadgil shantanugadgil at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 4 07:44:57 PDT 2013

On Thu, 7/4/13, Matt Fleming <matt at console-pimps.org> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [syslinux] Syslinux 5.11-pre7 not working
 To: "Shantanu Gadgil" <shantanugadgil at yahoo.com>
 Cc: syslinux at zytor.com
 Date: Thursday, July 4, 2013, 4:51 PM

 On Wed, 03 Jul, at 11:22:27PM,
 Shantanu Gadgil wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I am a happy user of version 4.06 and have been hoping
 to upgrade the 5.x series (for the HTTP bits).
 > I have the following problems with the 5.11-pre7
 build:

 > 1. TFTP load is horribly slow ... even when the two
 REAL machines are connected to the same switch.
 > For a typical RHEL installation, the vmlinuz loads ...
 the initrd.img loads very very slowly and just times out (I
 waited over 10 mins)

 Could you capture a packet dump of this transaction?

Ummm ... apologies up front ... but what would be the exact command to run?
Although I've had this eemail exchange once before, I don't recollect the commands.
(My server is a CentOS 6 x86_64)

 > A minor issue: The TFTP doesn't clear screen before the
 "kernel" start loading so the text appears on top of the
 splash (at the bottom if the screen) ... :(

 > The above two are NOT seen on the 4.06 branch.
 >
 > 2. HTTP loading just doesn't work! :( :(
 > I have tried these with the 4.10, 5.10, 5.11 branches,
 no luck!

 > As of today I have noticed an error message:.
 > --- msg ---
 netconn_write error -5
 > failed: no such file or directory
 > --- msg ---

 Is that the exact error message you saw? Not "netconn_write
 failed: -5"
 ?

Q: Exact message for v 5.11-pre7
--- snip ---
netconn_write error -5
failed: No such file or directory
--- snip ---

I am also answering a few other questions asked by Gene Cumm:

Q: I presume lpxelinux.0 and not pxelinux.0?  Have you tried pxelinux.0 for TFTP just in case?
Ans: Yes, I have tried "lpxelinux.0" renamed to "pxelinux.0"
and just the pxelinux.0

> I have tried these with the 4.10, 5.10, 5.11 branches, no luck!

Q: Any particular versions?
Ans: Many intermediates ... can't really upset my cluster too frequently! :(
Tested versions:
4.06 5.01 5.02-pre3 5.10 5.10-pre1 5.10-pre2 5.11-pre2 5.11-pre7 6.01

Q: BIOS rev on the 960?
Ans: A17
FWIW, BIOS rev on the 755 is 'A22'

Q: How are you using a splash?  DISPLAY directive, vesamenu.c32 MENU BACKGROUND?
Ans: vesamenu.c32 MENU BACKGROUND?

With so many versions around, its kinda getting confusing (for me, at least) :) :)

Thanks for your patience,
Regards,
Shantanu