[syslinux] Dell OptiPlex GX620 can longer boot from CD with syslinux-5.X

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 05:18:35 PDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 1:23 PM, Patrick Verner <distrozilla at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry for the delay, we were too busy drinking and playing with explosives
> yesterday. :)

No problem.  Many do that here.

> Here are some tests. We did one on a similar machine and it worked.
> We deleted the configuration file, obviously.
>
> # Dell OptiPlex GX620
> ISOLINUX 5.11 5.11-pre7
> isolinux: Starting up, DL = 82
> isolinux: Loaded spec packet OK, drive = 82
> isolinux: Main image LBA = 00000115
> isolinux: Image checksum error, sorry...
>
> # Dell OptiPlex GX620
> ISOLINUX 4.06 0x513e88f5
> isolinux: Starting up, DL = 82
> isolinux: Loaded spec packet OK, drive = 82
> isolinux: Main image LBA = 0000011D
> isolinux: Main image read, jumping to main code...
> ERROR: No configuration file found
> No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
> boot:
>
> # Dell OptiPlex 9010
> ISOLINUX 5.11 5.11-pre7
> isolinux: Starting up, DL = EF
> isolinux: Loaded spec packet OK, drive = EF
> isolinux: Main image LBA = 00000115
> isolinux: Main image read, jumping to main code...
> WARNING: No configuration file found
> boot:
>
> Hope this helps. Lets us know if you need anything.

I presume same CD-RW burn used of the ISO with 5.11-pre7 in both
machines?  I know I've seen some drives flake out on some burns, hence
asking if you could boot the GX620 with a live Linux environment and
check the disc (to isolate hardware fault from negative interaction).
It appears the GX620 misreads something or gets the data trampled in
RAM.

Aside from checking the burn on that machine and inserting files to
push isolinux.bin to a later LBA, I'm not sure what else to do except
wait for someone else's response.

--
-Gene