[syslinux] How to boot linux kernel from Syslinux 6 with efi

John Vogel jvogel4 at stny.rr.com
Tue Jul 9 02:34:05 PDT 2013

Hello,

I am testing Syslinux-6.01 booting with efi64 from usb flashdrive.
Using the config listed below, the kernel and initrd are loaded,
but hang right after with no error messages.

The flashdrive is partitioned with two partitions; the first is efi
system partition marked 0xef00 in gdisk (gpt-fdisk) and is formated
fat32; the second partition is formated ext2 but remains empty at this
time. The directory layout of the fat fs is /EFI/boot with all files
under the boot directory. I'm using the official release prebuilt
binaries. I copy efi64/efi/syslinux.efi to /EFI/boot/booyx64.efi. Then
I run the following from the root of the Syslinux-6.01 (with the
usb flashdrive mounted at /mnt):

# start: syslinux.cfg
LABEL Debian
     linux /vmlinuz.efi
     initrd /initrd.img
     append root=/dev/sda3 ro \
	ivrs_ioapic[7]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[8]=00:00.1
# end: syslinux.cfg

Same kernel command line currently works with grub-2.00 from efi booting
from EFI System Partition on first hard drive. And
also from gummiboot-32 from same usb flashdrive.

Hardware I am using is:
Asus Sabertooth 990FX w/ revision 1604 firmware.

This was the mail I was composing before the release of yesterdays
6.02pre's. Last evening, I tried again with 6.02pre2 and the result
was a kernel panic due to no root file system. My assumption is that
this has been the error all along, but brought to light by the recent
commits.

Regards,
John (j_v on freenode)