[syslinux] I cannot build syslinux-5.11-pre8 from git (No rule to make target `../core/ldlinux.bss')

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 11 17:13:46 PDT 2013

> On 07/11/2013 01:38 PM, Igor Sverkos wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > OK, I solved the problem. Before calling "make installer", I first
> > have to call "make spotless" and "make". Then I can call "make
> > installer".
> >
> > Is that documented, somewhere?
> >

> That would be a bug.  The documented sequence is "make clean", "make
> installer".
>
> 	-hpa

Well, to be fair, 'make spotless' is mentioned in ./doc/distrib.txt
for some situations, and all this would be accurate up to 5.xx (which
is indeed mentioned in the subject of the email thread). For 6.xx,
there is _also_ .doc/building.txt, which perhaps might be not clear
enough for some users?

For example the following quote:
[quote]
TO build the BIOS and 64-bit EFI installers type,

	make bios efi64 installer
[/quote]
( BTW, s/TO/To/ )
might sound strange, giving that there are no "EFI" *installers*.

That's just one example for potential confusions. If that paragraph
could generate such confusion (which might or might not), then there
are other phrases in building.txt that could generate similar
potential misunderstandings or inadequate syntax ("inadequate" in
regards to the result expected by some users).

To answer to another question (posted in another email thread) that
might show some similar potential confusion:
[quote]
 ... 'make efi64 install' ...
Would this also create memdisk for efi64 boot?
[/quote]

There is no "memdisk for efi64 boot". The binary file "memdisk" is
created under "bios", and it is the only "memdisk" file created.

So, perhaps some testers / users need to read some (additional)
documentation? And perhaps some documentation might need some
improvements / different wording? I don't really know; I'm just
bringing out such possibility.

Best Regards,
Ady.