[syslinux] pxechn.c32: passing options to iPXE

Alexandre Blanchette blanalex at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 08:49:23 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 3:37 PM, Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 16, 2013 2:01 PM, "Alexandre Blanchette" <blanalex at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 6:26 AM, Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > use
>  iPXE

> > > Odd.  What's the underlying PXE/UNDI stack?  Could you have gPXE/iPXE
> > > already loaded?
> >

> > No other stack is loaded, only the UNDI driver from the BIOS. I've tried
> it
> > with a VMWare Workstation machine (intel e1000 virtual interface), a
> Lenovo
> > ThinkPad T510 and a Dell Latitude E6530.
>
> Ok.  Is there any scenario for which you'd expect this to work?  Anything
> to test that your expected behavior is observed?  Should using option 67
> work like this?  Would it work with option 209("-c")?  Have you tried
> undionly.kkpxe or undionly.kkkpxe?
>
> Obviously once gPXE/iPXE does its own DHCP, it should use 67 like this.
>
> To get the behavior you desire, you may need a custom undionly.*pxe with a
> custom script to fetch a script based on 67.
>
> --Gene

Oh, I get it now! I thought of option 67 as a command line option for
undionly.kpxe. I was under that impression because I used pxechn.c32 for
wdsnbp.com before, and it jumped immediatly to the cached DHCP response.
We're playing "make believe" with iPXE here, I had to create a small script
to make iPXE jump through the hoops:
#!ipxe
set use-cached 1
autoboot net0

I had to use undionly.kkpxe too, undionly.kpxe wasn't able to read the
cached DHCP response. I also had to use the -W parameter for pxechn.c32.

Thank you!

--
Alexandre Blanchette <blanalex at gmail.com>