[syslinux] memdisk and iso

upen upendra.gandhi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 14:46:01 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 4:38 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:

> On 06/05/2013 02:34 PM, Gene Cumm wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 4:18 PM, upen <upendra.gandhi at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Sorry to bring this old thread up. I saw the note on the release of
> >> syslinux-5.10 which I have just finished installing. I would like some
> help
> >> here with configuration. I can move the iso into webserver's root
> directory
> >> but what should the configuration below be changed to load the iso via
> http?
> >>
> >> LABEL dell
> >> MENU LABEL dell
> >> LINUX memdisk
> >> INITRD dell.iso
> >> APPEND iso
> >>
> >> I have the lpxelinux.0 in the tftp root directory as well.
> >
> > 1) change to useing lpxelinux.0 rather than pxelinux.0
> >
> > 2) change the INITRD line like:
> > INITRD http://host.to.use.local/path/to/dell.iso
> >

> I think he wants to use http for the configuration file as well, in
> which case you have to set the path prefix via DHCP option 210.
>
> We may want to find some way to make that more convenient, but I'm not
> really sure how to do that cleanly (other than using the
> pxelinux-options tool, of course.)

Thank you hpa and Gene. Currently I have:
filename "linux-install/lpxelinux.0" in DHCP server.

I changed settings under pxelinux.cfg/default to

LABEL dell
MENU LABEL dell
LINUX memdisk
INITRD http://192.168.0.100/dell.iso
APPEND iso

I get error on theTFTP client machine after it receives the IP: Unable to
locate configuration file. Boot failed, press any key to retry.

Does pxelinux.cfg directory actually needs to be lpxelinux.cfg?

For now, even if I can load only ISO via http, I will consider that a
success for me.

--
upen,
emerge -uD life (Upgrade Life with dependencies)