[syslinux] memdisk and iso

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Fri Jun 7 00:35:09 PDT 2013

Op 2013-06-06 om 14:42 schreef H. Peter Anvin:
> On 06/06/2013 02:40 PM, upen wrote:
> >
> > Some odd things I observed just now.
> > 1. Since yesterday, I have been reseting the client box from Virtualbox VM
> >    menu (Reset option). This always showed me com32 vesamenu.c32
> >    message.
> > 2. Some time ago, I decided I power off the client VM( Close->poweroff from
> >    Menu). This time I saw the menu. It didn't show the background
> >    jpg though.  Anyways I chose the menu option for loading ISO. It
> >    returned me the same menu options, while showing file not found
> >    messages at the bottom of the screen.
> > 3. I tried reset as in (1), again com32 -vesamenu.c32 message as stated
> >    earlier.
> > 4. Power off , power on . No menu this time. Shows the com32-vesamenu.c32
> >    message as stated earlier.
> >
> > No such issues with pxelinux.0 though.
> >
> > I am now rebooting TFTP/DHCP server and see if that helps  to any level.
> >

> Sounds like it's losing lots of packets.

The tcpdump[1] shows strang HTTP traffic at the end.
It is TCP to port 80, but that is all. There is no HTTP  GET request.

Another surprising thing was that there are many TFTP file transfers.
I have expect HTTP transfers.

The answers might be in the DHCP OFFER which says "server name 'dhcp209'",
but no DHCP option 209.

I would like to see the dhcp server configuration file.

And I do like to read in the discussion order ( reply below the text )

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven