[syslinux] memdisk and iso, speed up

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Mon Jun 10 09:17:00 PDT 2013

Op 2013-06-10 om 09:48 schreef upen:
       <snip/>

> My dhcpd.conf now looks like this:
> host rhelclient {
> site-option-space "pxelinux";
>   next-server 192.168.0.100;
>   option pxelinux.magic f1:00:74:7e;
>   option pxelinux.configfile "linux-install/pxelinux.cfg/default";
>   option pxelinux.pathprefix "http://192.168.0.100/linux-install/";
>   filename "linux-install/lpxelinux.0";
>   server-name "dhcp209l";
>   hardware ethernet 08:00:27:E7:34:E9;
>   fixed-address 192.168.0.88;
> }

Good to see that 'site-option-space "pxelinux"' is added.

> stop/started DHCPd . Copied my /tftpboot/linux-install/* to
> /var/www/html/linux-install/* Changed tftp service configuration to use
> /var/www/html/linux-install as base directory and restarted xinetd service.
>
> After booting the PXE client, I have not seen the com32/vesamenu.c32
> message again, and it boots straight into graphical menu with the picture I
> set as background. It looks fine till this.
>

> Now I choose the option for ISO. Here's where I found things are still not
> consistent. It's 3-4 attempts for this option to get working. Most of times
> it says file not found and resturn me to the original menu option.
>
> When it works, it shows,
> menu, as expected. On the TFTP server I ran netstat to see if the client is
> connected to port 80 on server, and sure it was. So the Xfer of file took
> place via http.

The HTTP transfer is good. Is it a speed gain?

> The issue that it takes me 3-4 attempts on that menu option to get this
> working is surprising but it sure looks like lost packets.

As hpa stated earlier ...

> DHCP version: dhcp-3.0.5-33.el5_9
> Xinetd version: xinetd-2.3.14-16.el5
>
> /etc/xinetd.d/tftp
> service tftp
> {
>     socket_type        = dgram
>     protocol        = udp
>     wait            = yes
>     user            = root
>     server            = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
>     #server_args        = -s /tftpboot
>     server_args        = -s /var/www/html
>     disable            = no
>     per_source        = 11
>     cps            = 100 2
>     flags            = IPv4
>     bind            = 192.168.0.100

I don't think there is a configuration problem.
More likely a bad connected network cable.

If there is a configuration issue, then I would start with
>     cps            = 100 2
because it looks odd to me.

Groeten
Geert Stappers