[syslinux] [bug] 5.10: TAB displays only one line of labels

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 13 02:51:39 PDT 2013

Hello,

As the subject of the email says, pressing TAB from the "boot:"
prompt displays only one line of labels. But this only happens under
certain circumstances, not always.

Obviously, to be able to see this problem you need enough labels.

If TAB is pressed as the first step in the "boot:" prompt, then all
labels are displayed. If any kernel is launched and it returns back
to the "boot:" prompt and then the first step is to press TAB, then
all labels are displayed.

But, if any other combination of keys is pressed before TAB, then
only one line of labels is displayed.

For example:
1_ boot with ISOLINUX 5.10 to the "boot:" prompt;
2_ press ctrl+v (or any letter and delete it back);
3_ now press TAB;

and under these circumstances, only one line of labels is displayed.

Note that in the above point #2, if a letter is typed in, it should
be also deleted back from the boot prompt before pressing TAB;
otherwise only the labels starting with that letter are displayed.
The latter behavior is, of course, normal and expected, but it would
probably prevent us from showing the issue I'm reporting here.

If more details or tests are required, just let me know.

TIA,
Ady.