[syslinux] [bug] 6.00: No linux boot function

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Jun 24 02:55:08 PDT 2013

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013, Matt Fleming wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jun, at 10:27:52AM, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>
>> As far as I can see, this is an issue of the BIOS firmware not handling
>> things at all - there is not even a code path to the function that boots
>> Linux via BIOS. I can only guess that this is a result of a failed merge
>> followed by not testing 6.00 on BIOS before releasing it.
>
> Urk, sorry about that. This is fixed in 6.01-pre1, which I just
> released.
>
> This isn't the result of a failed merge, but I did (clearly) fail to
> remember to test booting a kernel under BIOS before releasing 6.00.

What could help here is to announce an imminent release on this
mailinglist. In the past Peter communicated his wish to release a few
days, or a week beforehand which allowed me to test the compilation and
packaging on RHEL, and test a few boots in order to test the packages.

In this case I was surprised (yet pleased) to hear about the 5.10 and
6.00 release. Announcing doesn't guarantee anything (as people might have
no time to test it within the given timeframe) but it allows some to
test the pre-releases one more time.

-- dagit linux solutions, contact at dagit.net, http://dagit.net/