[syslinux] Upcoming Syslinux 6.01 release

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 27 15:44:56 PDT 2013

> On Thu, 27 Jun, at 11:02:51PM, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> > Am 27.06.2013 22:08, schrieb Matt Fleming:
> > > I'm planning on releasing 6.01 next week. The list of changes (so far)
> > > are appended below. This is going to be a quick bug fix release, mainly
> > > because of the rather embarrassing bug in the 6.00 that prevents booting
> > > a Linux kernel on BIOS. The idea is to get a fixed release into
> > > everyone's hands ASAP.
> >
> > Any chance for a fix for the failed CONFIG directive Gerardo reported?
> > Our main test case heavily relies on it.
>
> Thanks for the reminder. I'll take a look.
>
> --
> Matt Fleming, Intel Open Source Technology Center

If I may, a humble suggestion (in generic terms, so feel free to
adapt it to available resources, convenience, etc.):

1_ Fixing the CONFIG directive behavior in 6.xx.
2_ If relevant, fixing the [MENU] INCLUDE directive in 6.xx (which
might be the same fix applied just before the release of 5.11-pre3; I
don't know).
3_ Building an additional pre-release and announcing it.
4_ Waiting for feedback; and potentially more fixing.
5_ According to previous steps, building an additional pre-release
and announcing it.
6_ Once the (announced) goals are met (according to tests and
feedback), the last pre-release is re-built as new stable release
version.

Even if all this sounds "too much", perhaps proceeding with at least
part of this could potentially be helpful (?).

Of course, I have no idea if any of this is feasible, appropriate or
convenient here; I am just thinking aloud.

TIA,
Ady.