[syslinux] FW: pxelinux 5.x, 6.x memtest problem

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 28 07:13:59 PDT 2013

> Additional information:
> I was tried it with 2 virtualbox (version 4.2.14r86644).1rst: debian weezy with isc-dhcp-server, pxelinux5.01, pxelinux 6.00, tftp-hpa2nd: empty virtualbox booting from virtual network card.
> So memtest 4.1 and 4.2 worked with pxelinux 4.06
> Peter

Yes, memtest boots from all variants of Syslinux 4.06.

But, in Syslinux 4.06, there is linux.c32, which is a sort of
introduction to Syslinux 5.xx (please allow me to be not strictly
accurate in this sentence in this context).

Booting with any variant of Syslinux 4.06, but using linux.c32,
memtest would fail, which indicated some kind of problem related to
the status of Syslinux 5.xx at the time v4.06 was released.

According to your report, you also see the "Booting kernel failed:
Bad file number", which might have been fixed already.

So, I would suggest for you to try again with the latest testing
5.11-preN, and/or 6.01-preM that you can find available, or to wait
for the next stable release and then report again.

Regards,
Ady.