[syslinux] FW: pxelinux 5.x, 6.x memtest problem

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 03:05:05 PDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 7:31 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> On 06/28/2013 04:07 PM, Gene Cumm wrote:

>>> PXELINUX 4.06 with Memtest86-4.20 and Memtest86+-4.20 binaries
>>> (renamed) using LINUX directly works.  Using linux.c32:
>>> "syslinux_boot_linux() failed: Error 0"
>>>
>>> PXELINUX 5.10, 5.11-pre3, 6.01-pre5 with binaries LINUX directly:
>>> "Booting kernel failed: Invalid argument"
>>
>> Németh Péter :
>> Would you happen to have a link for the Memtest86+ binaries that you
>> attempted to use with PXELINUX?
>>

> It is presumably the stock memtest-86+ 4.20 binaries.  As I wrote
> elsewhere in the thread, the problem is understood.

I posted my results from what I thought was "the stock memtest-86+
4.20 binaries" which I presume to be Syslinux core safety measures.
What was different?  Why was Nemeth able to load something that should
be expected to fail?  Was it packed with something like upx (which
failed to compress Memtest binaries for me)?

--
-Gene