[syslinux] 6.01-pre 4 no timeout when using serial

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 06:56:11 PDT 2013

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 8:22 AM, Romain Naour <romain.naour at openwide.fr> wrote:
> Le 30/06/2013 13:47, Gene Cumm a écrit :

>>> Gert, Romain: Have you tried lowering the serial rate or timeout?  ie:
>>>
>>> SERIAL 0 9600
>>> TIMEOUT 30
>>>
>>> Romain: is this observed on a physical or virtual machine?
>>
>> Rather, have you only observed this under qemu?
>>

> I noticed this problem on the two.
>
> Previously, my configuration under qemu did not include the line "SERIAL
> 0 115200". That's why I did not have the problem.
>
> Now I exactly use the same config file on physical an virtual machine,
> and I have the problem under qemu too.
>
> I tried (qemu only) with "SERIAL 0 9600" and "TIMEOUT 30", same problem.
>
> The last working version is 4.06.

Using "SERIAL 0 9600" "TIMEOUT 1" in PXELINUX 5.11-pre3 in the above
VMware-based VM, I found something more interesting.  If I let it sit
at the prompt (no input) for a while (over 30 seconds but not sure how
much over but under 3 minutes) then hit any key on the serial terminal
emulator, it immediately hits the timeout and executes DEFAULT.

--
-Gene