[syslinux] Plop Boot Manager quit working with 5.10

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 12:44:59 PDT 2013

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 2:51 PM, Ady <ady-sf at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Even within Syslinux 5.xx+, linux.c32 behaves differently than when
> using the LINUX directive. As example, see the 2 different behaviors
> I described before in this same email thread, regarding PLoP manager
> kernel when booted from Syslinux 5.11-pre3 and from 6.01-pre5
> respectively (not just the error message itself - which might be
> understandable - but also when started from menu.c32: one error
> message is immediately overwritten by the automatically reloaded
> menu, while the other is displayed and it ends in CLI).

My understand is that this is the same code operating in 2 different
environments resulting in differing user experiences.  Loading another
COM32 always aborts out a UI.  If you used "DEFAULT menu.c32";
"TIMEOUT 1" instead of "UI menu.c32", you should have (almost) the
same experience both ways.

> C_ Some form of chain-loading from Syslinux 5+ to prior versions or
> to other boot loaders will be necessary, just to be able to execute
> those ""hard-coded memory address" kernels.

This is quite possible but just not user friendly at this time.
Install 4.06 to a different directory, save its VBR as sl406.vbr, add
"LABEL "; "BOOT sl406.vbr", install a newer version to the desired
directory and create a config file in the other directory containing
the desired "ancient kernels".

--
-Gene