[syslinux] Booting an ISO with FreeDOS over PXE with memdisk

Per Jessen per at computer.org
Fri Mar 1 09:25:25 PST 2013

H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> On 03/01/2013 08:27 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
>>>
>>> You probably want to replace CDDRV.SYS (which almost certainly tries
>>> to do direct I/O to the CD-ROM drive) with ELTORITO.SYS (which is
>>> included in the Syslinux distribution.)
>>
>> Thanks Peter - I did try that already, but it also reported "No
>> bootable CDROM found".
>>

> That is probably because the CD is in disk emulation mode.  The same
> disk can't be in both disk emulation mode (needed to access the disk
> image on the CD) and no-disk emulation mode (needed to access the rest
> of the CD) proper.  This is very unfortunate.

Aha, so I should be able to find the CD under C: as Vanush suggested. I
hadn't thought of that. The startup procedure from this ISO involves
creating a RAMdisk and copying some of the CD contents there for
unpacking - and the RAMdisk is created as C:.  I have in fact found
another workaround, but I think I'll take a closer look.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (1.6°C)