[syslinux] Booting an ISO with FreeDOS over PXE with memdisk

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Fri Mar 1 09:27:23 PST 2013

Op 1-3-2013 17:27, Per Jessen schreef:

>> You probably want to replace CDDRV.SYS (which almost certainly tries
>> to do direct I/O to the CD-ROM drive) with ELTORITO.SYS (which is
>> included in the Syslinux distribution.)
>
> Thanks Peter - I did try that already, but it also reported "No bootable
> CDROM found".

This should work, provided the ISO itself uses El-Torito non-emulation
(usually experienced by seeing an Isolinux or GRUB menu).
A tool giving some feedback is ETDUMP
( http://www.nu2.nu/utils/#ettool ).

Should the CD use El-Torito floppy emulation or harddisk emulation,
you're pretty much out of luck with regard to accessing the rest of the
CD content.

Could you try loading UBCD over PXE? [ http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ ]
I'm pretty sure it also includes DOS, as well as ELTORITO.SYS and Isolinux.

A smaller ISO would be FreeDOS 1.1

Bernd