[syslinux] Syslinux-5.10-pre1 looks for ldlinux.c32 in TFTP instead of HTTP

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Mar 7 09:24:31 PST 2013

On 03/07/2013 04:51 AM, Matt Fleming wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-03-07 at 13:32 +0100, Tobias Göbel wrote:
>> As you can see, everything is set to HTTP and i have no clue, why
>> pxelinux.0 tries to load it from TFTP anyways.
>
> The lwIP PXE stack is called lpxelinux.0 in 5.10-pre1, not pxelinux.0.
> pxelinux.0 is the legacy code.

So the legacy stack does special things when it sees gPXE/iPXE
underneath it; it talks a custom protocol with iPXE to allow it to use
TCP-based protocols using the stack in iPXE.

The lwIP-based stack shouldn't need to do that, and probably shouldn't,
but it is not well know how much problem the iPXE stack being in between
will cause.  I suspect we need to get the iPXE people involved, though.

We should check, though, that we aren't simply using vestiges of the
custom protocol that is tripping us up.