[syslinux] [PXELinux 5.01] BUG: "unable to locate configuration file" if directory tftpboot/syslinux exists

Stefan Kanthak stefan.kanthak at nexgo.de
Mon Mar 11 11:08:58 PDT 2013

Matt Fleming wrote:

> On Thu, 2013-02-28 at 20:06 +0100, Stefan Kanthak wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using PXELinux (on Windows NT5.x, with Windows NT5.x tftpd and the
>> PXE server included in the "Windows XP Embedded Remote Boot Server").
>> This works well here since more than 10 years now.
>>
>> Recently I created a subdirectory "syslinux" in my "tftpboot" ... and
>> PXELINUX failed with the message "unable to locate configuration file".
>> Renaming that directory works around the bug.
>
> What version of PXELINUX are you using?

The version I wrote in the tag in the subject: 5.01.

To reproduce the bug use the following setup:

/tftpboot/pxelinux.0

/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default
    with (or without.-) the line "PATH syslinux"

/tftpboot/syslinux/
    to hold ALL *.c32 (including ldlinux.c32, in contradiction to my
    previous answer to Geert Stappers)

The error message "unable to locate configuration file" is clearly
wrong here (and misleading). It has to be "failed to load ldlinux.c32"
instead!

regards
Stefan Kanthak