[syslinux] menu.c32: not a COM32R image

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 17:06:35 PDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Marc Pascual <marc.m.pascual at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Gene
>
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 6:37 PM, Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> 1) why not run rpm2cpio once?
>>

> yeah, I admit to being lazy there. I was looking to clean this up together
> with some more, but that can't be the source of the problem, no?

Shouldn't be but just an efficiency point.

>> The error means you have ISOLINUX-4.xx with a non-4.xx menu.c32 (likely
>> 3.xx or not really a COM32 at all)
>
> that's the part that confuses me. I copied both isolinux.bin and menu.c32
> from the same rpm package.

Are you sure they both extracted?  copied?

>> 2) temporarily disable your cleanups.
>
> did this as well. nothing out of the ordinary.

Likely, but at the very least it could allow you to diagnose that the
same menu.c32 from the RPM is used in the ISO and that the version
string in the original isolinux.bin and resultant isolinux.bin.

>> 3) check for /boot/isolinux /boot/syslinux and /syslinux in your ISO.

If any of these directories exist, that may be where it's pulling menu.c32.

> did this. compared the checksums on the iso and the rpm. it matches on
> menu.c32, but not isolinux.bin. I did this a few times, with syslinux from
> different releases (RHEL 5.6, 5.7, 5.8, 5.9, all 6.x's), I always end up
> with a modified isolinux.bin. I suppose this is normal (mkisofs doing its
> thing?).
>
> -Marc

Yes, normal.

4) Be sure no other files matching menu.c32 (case insensitive) are found.

--
-Gene