[syslinux] Syslinux 5.10pre1 - Failed to load COM32 file .c32

Mattias Schlenker ms at mattiasschlenker.de
Wed Mar 13 05:14:41 PDT 2013

Hello everyone,

Since I have some some adventures in UEFI PXE booting ahead I tried to
go with the latest syslinux development snapshot in this case 5.10pre1.
But I already fail when booting from CD with

    Failed to load COM32 file .c32

I am a bit perplex since no name of COM32 files is given. I am trying to
trace down the issue as good as I can. COM32 files present are:

boot/isolinux/chain.c32
boot/isolinux/ifcpu.c32
boot/isolinux/ifcpu64.c32
boot/isolinux/ldlinux.c32
boot/isolinux/libcom32.c32
boot/isolinux/libgpl.c32
boot/isolinux/liblua.c32
boot/isolinux/libmenu.c32
boot/isolinux/libutil.c32
boot/isolinux/menu.c32
boot/isolinux/reboot.c32
boot/isolinux/vesamenu.c32

Every build gets fresh COM32 files and an isolinux.bin from the same
syslinux version. The isolinux.cfg calls ifcpu64.c32 to select either a
64 bit kernel, a PAE enabled kernel or a kernel without PAE.
isolinux.cfg reads:

DEFAULT switch

LABEL switch
         COM32 /boot/isolinux/ifcpu64.c32
         APPEND sifomenu -- paemenu -- nopamenu

LABEL paemenu
         COM32 /boot/isolinux/vesamenu.c32
         APPEND /boot/isolinux/common/paemenu.cfg

LABEL nopamenu
         COM32 /boot/isolinux/vesamenu.c32
         APPEND /boot/isolinux/common/nopamenu.cfg

LABEL sifomenu
         COM32 /boot/isolinux/vesamenu.c32
         APPEND /boot/isolinux/common/sifomenu.cfg

Manually calling the vesamenu.c32 COM32 at the boot prompt works with
relative and absolute paths:

    boot: vesamenu.c32 common/sifomenu.c32
    boot: /boot/isolinux/vesamenu.c32 /boot/isolinux/common/sifomenu.c32

I am scratching my head, since calling

    boot: sifomenu

fails which indicates that isolinux itself does not find (or correctly
interpretes) its isolinux.cfg. Syslinux was built with GCC 4.7.2 and
NASM 2.10.7 - but the problem remains when using the .c32 files and
isolinux.bin from the official release. 5.02pre3 (built with the same
compilers) does not show this issue. There is no /isolinux directory,
nor are there syslinux.cfg anywhere. Were there changed dependencies
when moving from 5.02pre3 to 5.10pre1? The only added (binary) COM32
seems to be cptime.c32, but this does not mean that there a no new
dependencies on already present COM32 files.

Regards,
Mattias

--
Mattias Schlenker - Redaktion + EDV-Beratung + Linux-CD/DVD-Konzepte
Dietrich-Bonhoeffer-Str. 3 - 40667 MEERBUSCH - GERMANY

Telefon (VoIP "ueberall"), geschaeftlich: +49 341 39290767
Telefon (Festnetz), privat und Fax:       +49 2132 9952906
Mobil:                                    +49 163  6953657
Mobil (SIM in Testgeraeten):              +49 1578 3499550

Bitte fuer geschaeftliche Telefonate vorzugsweise die VoIP-Telefonnummer
+49 341 39290767 verwenden, da ich diese aufs Mobiltelefon routen kann!

http://blog.rootserverexperiment.de/ http://news.mattiasschlenker.de/