[syslinux] syslinux.exe, on XP, fails to run on a USB stick

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 17 10:37:39 PDT 2013

>   e:\syslinux\syslinux.exe --active \
>                            --directory /syslinux/ --force \
>                            --install --mbr e:
>
> caused the machine not to boot.  What is wrong with it?

Have you tried not running syslinux.exe from the same volume?

Also, try:
 syslinux.exe --mbr --active --directory syslinux --install e:

Note: sort order of the options; only one space character between
arguments; the "e:\syslinux\" directory should already exist; the
"--install e:" argument is last; volume "e:" is the only partition in
the USB drive; "e:" is FAT32; is "e:" smaller than 4GB?

If that doesn't work, I would suggest using RUFUS at least for a
test. Once your USB drive is at least bootable (after using RUFUS),
you could try again with Syslinux 5.xx.

Regards,
Ady.