[syslinux] 5.10 DISPLAY files (and SAY directive) issues

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 09:44:52 PDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 2:06 AM, Ady <ady-sf at hotmail.com> wrote:

> that are about to create a new "short" DISPLAY file. Wasting 1 screen
> row from the 25 available, or having to specifically review and
> "correct" old files are not "solutions" IMHO.

What version are you referencing for old behavior?  If you haven't
tried anything yet, I'd suggest 3.86 and 4.06 (the last of the 3.xx
and 4.0x).  It sounds like you're trying to state it's a regression
without referencing an old version and its observed behavior.

I've tested 3.86, 4.06, and 5.10-pre2.  In 3.86/4.06, the observed
behavior of SAY is identical to that of my test of 5.10-pre2.

In 3.86/4.06, F1 does leave it as "                   USE F1 TO
TESTboot:" (with preceding spaces).  In 5.10-pre2, the last line of
the file is overwritten by the "boot:" prompt.

In 3.86/4.06, using cat.c32 also does "                   USE F1 TO
TESTboot:".  In 5.10-pre2, (I believe unexpectedly) also does "
           USE F1 TO TESTboot:".

In my opinion, the "boot:" prompt behavior is likely to be considered
a regression while the SAY behavior is a feature enhancement request.

--
-Gene