[syslinux] Allowed code pages and encodings to write f0.txt through f1.txt?

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 27 03:44:56 PDT 2013

> On Mar 27, 2013 4:00 AM, "Ady" <ady-sf at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > (1) Which character encodings can be used in message.txt and f1.txt
> through f1O.txt?
> >
> > The default in the BIOS, mainly Code Page 437
> >  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437
>
> 865 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_865 (core/Makefile) for FAT*
> long file names.  Otherwise, the user's PC's BIOS.

In my experience, in Syslinux I haven't been able to _display_ the
three characters that distinguish cp865 from cp437. I have tried
different combinations of opening and/or viewing and or saving the
text file with either cp865 or cp437 (or even with 1252), without
success regarding the 3 diff. characters once in Syslinux. This is
only my experience, and maybe others were successful with cp865.

Implementing support for UTF in:

_ DISPLAY files
_ DISPLAY directive
_ F1-F12 directive(s)
_ cfg files
_ SAY directive
_ MENU HELP directive
_ TEXT HELP - ENDTEXT directive(s)
_ cat.c32 and other c32 modules
_ using (absolute or relative) paths

should help for internationalization and would make the difference
irrelevant.

Maybe parts of those implementations are simpler than others.

Ady.