[syslinux] Allowed code pages and encodings to write f0.txt through f1.txt?

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Mar 27 09:29:38 PDT 2013

On 03/27/2013 02:48 AM, Didier Spaier wrote:

>> Now in Syslinux 5 we probably have enough infrastructure to do UTF-8
>> right.  This is 2013, UTF-8 everywhere would make a lot of sense.  We
>> already have to carry Unicode conversion tables to deal with VFAT.
>
> Thanks. Are there any plan already to do that and/or a way to follow up
> what is or will be done in that matter?

No real plan yet.  It certainly would be a useful task for someone to
take on.

In particular, changes would have to be done to the terminal code
(keyboard to Unicode to font conversion) and to at least the VFAT and
NTFS filesystem code.

Implementing Rock Ridge and/or Joliet for ISO 9660 would be nice, too.

The biggest user-visible difference would be for users using serial
consoles, however, I am starting to think that in 2013 Unicode on a
serial console is reasonable.