[syslinux] Rock Ridge for core/fs/iso9660

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sun Mar 31 12:22:07 PDT 2013

On 03/31/2013 03:49 AM, scdbackup at gmx.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have now a retriever of Rock Ridge names from ISO directory
> records and their eventual Continuation Areas.
> Further i have a detector for SUSP and Rock Ridge signatures.
>
> Both have been tested in libisofs by comparing their results with
> the Rock Ridge info as perceived by the library.
> 50 ISO images tested.  Some bugs repaired. Now they are in sync.
> (The macro case Isolinux_rockridge_in_libisofS in susp_rr.c can
>  later be removed, when no further tests in libisofs are expected.)
>
> Most of the code is in two new source files:
>   core/fs/iso9660/susp_rr.h  ~  4000 bytes
>   core/fs/iso9660/susp_rr.c  ~ 15000 bytes
> Opinions regarding coding style and license are welcome.

GPL v2+ is fine, as long as it is clearly understood (as part of
Syslinux in general) that Syslinux modules that communicate through the
exported entry points are not derivative and are not required to be GPL.

We tend to prefer Linux multiline comment style which looks like:

/*
 * Foo
 */

... rather than ...

/* Foo
 */

... but that is a minor issue which can be fixed later.

> This all compiles now in syslinux from git on a Debian 6 system.
> It has no "upx" and apt-file search does not find any. At the end
> there are complaints by ls about missing win32/syslinux.exe and
> win64/syslinux64.exe.
> But the run ends by a long list of files and
>   make: [all] Error 2 (ignored)
> No errors are reported when compiling iso9660.c and susp_rr.c.

Right.  All that happened was that the DOS and Windows utilities didn't
get made due to lack of compiler on your system.  No problem.

> I wonder whether the Linux kernel does not demand a Rock Ridge ER.
> At least i cannot spot a refusal to interpret Rock Ridge if it
> is missing. I cannot even spot the Rock Ridge id texts "RRIP_1991A",
> "IEEE_P1282", and "IEEE_1282".
> (FreeBSD has such a test, as i learned a few years ago.)

Doesn't look like it.

> I understand that currently file types other than directory and
> regular file show up as (empty) regular files.

They can be made to show up in readdir() with the appropriate type;
Syslinux itself will not use them.

> Does syslinux have use for socket files, symbolic links,
> block devices, character devices, or named pipes ?

No.

> Is there use for user id, group id, access permissions ?
> (I do not see struct stat in iso9660.c)

No.