[syslinux] isolinux failing on serial console

Marc Pascual marc.m.pascual at gmail.com
Fri May 3 23:54:14 PDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Ady <ady-sf at hotmail.com> wrote:

> > here's my config:
> >
> > default menu.c32
> > serial 0 115200
> > # comment out to enable video console
> > # console 0
> >

> For testing with serial console purposes, I would suggest starting
> your cfg file with:
>
> serial 0 115200
> console 0
> UI menu.c32

> I mean, to use those directives as very first statements in your cfg
> file and in this same order.
>
> One additional test could be to use Syslinux 4.06 binaries from
> kernel.org, without recompiling, but I'm not sure it would make any
> difference in this case.
>
>  -Ady.

It turned out to be a problem with the iso download with the iLO's cli
interface (vm cdrom insert) over WAN. I took a closer look at the tcpdump
capture and what happens is that the connection becomes too idle, tcp
keepalive probes get sent, leads to an RST and eventually an HTTP
boot.iso?EJECT request from the iLO which explains the "menu.32: not a
COM32R image" messages (It just can't find the file because the image is
already unloaded). I can't replicate the problem if I load the iso and
request it from a client in the same datacenter, nor via the iLO's web
applet even on WAN.

- Marc