[syslinux] Question about syslinux EFI alpha version

Mattias Schlenker ms at mattiasschlenker.de
Wed May 8 07:13:37 PDT 2013

Am 08.05.2013 15:51, schrieb Andreas Heinlein:

> Since I'm not that good at compiling and debugging low-level code
> (much less than Klaus', I assume..) I'd be very happy to test a
> compiled binary. BTW: Will it be neccessary to use Syslinux 6 on the
> "classic" BIOS side as well, or can the configs be shared with
> Syslinux 5 or even 4?

Configs that work with older versions of Syslinux usually work with
newer versions as well, it happens very seldom that an option gets
deprecated. You should however note, that the .c32 modules are not
compatible across versions. But this should not affect our/your/my ISO
images since all the (U)EFI boot files reside on the EFI El-Torito FAT16
image while the BIOS boot files reside directly in the ISO filesystem.
On USB thumb drives that use the most primitive boot method (one single
FAT32 partition) to boot both on UEFI and on BIOS you have to take care.

For this reason in Desinfec't and current builds of LessLinux I
partition thumb drives and give them one legacy boot partition and one
EFI boot partition. Combined with gptmbr.bin those thumb drives work
very well on both UEFI and BIOS. Currently I use Shim+GRUB (for
Desinfect) and Preloader+Gummiboot (for LessLinux), but I really look
forward to be able to switch to PreLoader+Syslinux to get back to one
config.

Regards,
Mattias

--
Mattias Schlenker - Redaktion + EDV-Beratung + Linux-CD/DVD-Konzepte
August-Bebel-Str. 74 - 04275 LEIPZIG - GERMANY

Telefon (VoIP "ueberall"), geschaeftlich: +49 341 39290767
Telefon (Festnetz), privat und Fax:       +49 341 30393578
Mobil:                                    +49 163  6953657
Mobil (SIM in Testgeraeten):              +49 1578 3499550

Bitte fuer geschaeftliche Telefonate vorzugsweise die VoIP-Telefonnummer
+49 341 39290767 verwenden, da ich diese aufs Mobiltelefon routen kann!