[syslinux] MEMDISK location in memory

Martin Osterloh Martin.Osterloh at dartmouth.edu
Wed May 15 13:31:47 PDT 2013

What I am trying to do is booting my OS (incl. custom bootloader) via MEMDISK and have the harddisk image in memory (a diskless system so to say).

I found a way to identify the MEMDISK image in memory. I set the size of the harddisk image to my liking. While going through my memory map, I just look for an unusable chunk of that exact size. Chances are pretty low that there is a 2nd chunk of memory with exactly the same (odd) size.

Probably not the perfect way but it works for me.