[syslinux] Display borked when loading FONT

appzer0 appzer0 at free.fr
Fri May 24 07:29:36 PDT 2013

Hello,

I am a happy user of syslinux since 3.x. I've been able to load a font
to display French accented charecters since then, but it not the case
anymore, as problems have started to raise with syslinux 5.x.

program : EXTLINUX, ISOLINUX (same behaviour)

In extlinux.conf, the culprit is :

FONT=lat9w16

This font is taken from 'kbd' package, named lat9w-16.psfu. It contains
a UTF-8 table, usually ignored by extlinux, but maybe it is not the case
anymore? As usual, extlinux.conf is written using an ISO-8859-1
encoding, not UTF-8.

All .c32 modules are present in /boot/extlinux/, next to extlinux.conf
itself. 'extlinux --install' reports no errors.

Result: It displays large vertical white bars and _every_ character is
borked (but each boot, the same characters are wrongly interpreted the
same, no random display here, even on the unaccented ones). The Fix is
easy : comment the FONT= line in, then extlinux is OK, but obviously
there are no more accents. :-/

I need the French accented characters, namely éèêàâùûôç. At worst, I
could drop the accented letters but I'd be very sad to.

Tested on syslinux 5.01 and 5.10-pre2. This is the first time ever that
I run into this problem with syslinux. Please find the extlinux.conf I
use below.

Thanks!

appzer0

---
#
# Fichier de configuration de 'syslinux'.
#

# ATTENTION ! Ce fichier doit être encodé en ISO-8859-1 et non en UTF-8 !

# On charge d'emblée le module du menu graphique :
UI vesamenu.c32
PROMPT 0

# On laisse 10 secondes de réflexion avant d'amorcer :
TIMEOUT 100

# Couleurs :
menu color border        *    #00000000 #00000000 none
menu color screen        *    #90ffffff #00000000 *
menu color title        *    #ffffffff #00000000 *
menu color unsel        *    #90ffffff #00000000 *
menu color hotkey        *    #ff6bff6b #00000000 *
menu color sel            *    #e0ffffff #200cd22d *
menu color hotsel        *    #e06bff6b #200cd22d *
menu color scrollbar    *    #200cd22d #00000000 *
menu color tabmsg        *    #60ffffff #00000000 *
menu color cmdmark        *    #c000ffff #00000000 *
menu color cmdline        *    #c0ffffff #00000000 *
menu color timeout_msg    *    #80ffffff #00000000 *
menu color timeout        *    #c0ffffff #00000000 *

# Image d'arrière-plan :
MENU BACKGROUND syslinux.png

# La police :
FONT lat9w16.psf

# Titre du menu :
MENU TITLE Système 0 Linux

# On remplace le message anglophone "Press [tab] to edit options."
MENU TABMSG Appuyez sur TAB pour éditer les options de démarrage

# Message d'attente :
MENU AUTOBOOT Lancement automatique dans # seconde{,s}...

# 0 Linux :
LABEL 0
     MENU LABEL 0Linux
     LINUX ../noyau-3.8.1
     APPEND ro vt.default_utf8=1 root=/dev/sda3

LABEL 0TEST
     MENU LABEL 0Linux test
     LINUX ../noyau-3.5.4
     APPEND ro vt.default_utf8=1 root=/dev/sda5

LABEL SDA6
     MENU LABEL Slackware 14.0
     LINUX ../vmlinuz-huge-smp-3.2.29-smp
     APPEND ro vt.default_utf8=1 root=/dev/sda6

LABEL windoz
     MENU LABEL Win 7
     KERNEL chain.c32
     APPEND hd0 1

# Sous-menu pour les choix de claviers :

MENU SEPARATOR

LABEL -
     MENU LABEL Passer en ligne de commande
     MENU DISABLE

MENU SEPARATOR

LABEL be
     MENU LABEL Charger le clavier belge
     MENU INDENT 1
     KERNEL kbdmap.c32
     APPEND claviers/be.ktl

LABEL cf
     MENU LABEL Charger le clavier canadien
     MENU INDENT 1
     KERNEL kbdmap.c32
     APPEND claviers/cf.ktl

LABEL ch
     MENU LABEL Charger le clavier suisse
     MENU INDENT 1
     KERNEL kbdmap.c32
     APPEND claviers/ch.ktl

LABEL fr
     MENU LABEL Charger le clavier français
     MENU INDENT 1
     KERNEL kbdmap.c32
     APPEND claviers/fr.ktl

## L'outil de détection de matériel HDT :
#
#MENU SEPARATOR
#
#LABEL hdt
#    MENU LABEL HDT : détection du matériel
#    KERNEL hdt.c32
#    APPEND modules=modules.pci pciids=pci.ids
#
## L'outil de test de la mémoire Memtest86+ :
#LABEL memtest
#    MENU LABEL Memtest86+ : test de la mémoire vive
#    LINUX mtest86.bin

# Menu pour redémarrer :

MENU SEPARATOR

LABEL reboot