[syslinux] Display borked when loading FONT

appzer0 appzer0 at free.fr
Sat May 25 00:58:54 PDT 2013

Le 24/05/2013 19:35, Ady a écrit :
>> As usual, extlinux.conf is written using an ISO-8859-1
>> encoding, not UTF-8.

>> I need the French accented characters, namely éèêàâùûôç. At worst, I
>> could drop the accented letters but I'd be very sad to.
>>

> FWIW, I just tested Syslinux 5.10-pre2 with menu.c32 and I am able to
> correctly display any and all those French characters without the
> need for the FONT directive.
>
> I opened my cfg file with cp865. Then I added a LABEL and MENU LABEL
> directives. For LABEL, I used basic simple English characters, and
> for MENU LABEL I used all those French characters. Then I saved the
> cfg file with cp865. The Syslinux menu was displayed as expected (ie.
> those French characters were displayed correctly).
>
> I have tested menu.c32 only, not vesamenu.c32.
>
> I guess that for Syslinux to fully support UTF-8 _in the future_, the
> adequate procedure and documentation would need more details (for
> example, which codepage will be accepted / suggested / recommended /
> supported for future cfg files).
>
> Of course, this quick test doesn't respond to the report about the
> FONT directive.
>
> Regards,
> Ady.
@Ady @Didier: thanks guys for your input!

OK, so I made some tests and at last got satisfied with that ISO/CP
mess.
I decided to forget about loading a font ant concentrated on displaying
accents natively in menu.c32 and vesamenu.c32. Both worked.

So to put things clearly: my system is UTF-8. My locale setup:

LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
LC_ALL=fr_FR.UTF-8

I was writing extlinux.conf in ISO-8859-1. éèêàç was displaying
incorrectly (omega characters, etc.).

1- I decided to test CP1252 (as known as WINDOWS-1252) with
"iconv --from ISO-8859-1 --to CP1252".

Same borked characters, as CP1252 is a somewhat extension to
CP to mimic ISO or something like that (I definitely don't
want to hear about ISO again).

2- After some wikipedia-ing, I decided to convert into CP850,
also known as DOS Latin-1.

Bingo. Everything is not correct!

So, ISO-8859-1 is definitely not the way to go, think CP!

menu.c32 and vesamenu.c32 are now OK. \o/

The French characters i now can display correctly:

éèêëùàçâäÉÇ - did not try all but CP850 can display every
French character (as it is a codepage for West Europe).

@Didier FYI : https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_de_code_850
@Ady, thanks very much for pointing me to codepages as CP*.

Thanks again!

appzer0