[syslinux] Display borked when loading FONT

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sat May 25 09:37:35 PDT 2013

> So to put things clearly: my system is UTF-8. My locale setup:
>
> LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
> LC_ALL=fr_FR.UTF-8

> So, ISO-8859-1 is definitely not the way to go, think CP!
>
> menu.c32 and vesamenu.c32 are now OK. \o/
>
> The French characters i now can display correctly:
>
> éèêëùàçâäÉÇ - did not try all but CP850 can display every
> French character (as it is a codepage for West Europe).

I'm glad you solved your problem. For future reference, just in case
someone else finds this email thread in search for similar issues,
I'd like to clarify a couple of details (and please forgive me if
this is already clear and evident for you - it might not be so clear
to others having similar issues).

According to previous posts (by HPA) in this Syslinux mailing list,
Syslinux configuration files (and so-called DISPLAY or "message"
files too) are parsed using codepage "865" (which is not exactly 100%
the same as CP850). CP865 is almost the same as CP437, with the
exception of 3 characters.

CP858, CP850, CP865 and CP437 (among others), (partially) support
Western alphabets. All of them include most (if not all) French
characters.

A font file might or might not be needed once the Syslinux entry is
launched. A keyboard layout or a specific language selection might or
might not be needed (or wanted) as part of the APPEND line. But I
wasn't referring to such cases.

All I am saying is that, for the purpose of displaying French
"accented" lowercase characters in a Syslinux "message" file or in a
Syslinux menu, the "FONT" directive (which is part of Syslinux and is
independent of any other code relevant to a specific OS) is not
necessary in most Western systems.

If a Syslinux "message" or a Syslinux menu displays unexpected
characters, the suggested procedure would be to use a simple text
editor that is capable of opening, editing and saving files with the
adequate encoding. If the (cfg or message) file is opened as CP865,
then the needed characters (supported by CP865) are inserted and then
the file is saved with the same CP865, then the expected result
should be that Syslinux should display the same exact characters.

If the OS and/or editor tool where the files are being edited doesn't
support CP865, I would suggest using CP437.

For characters not supported by CP865 (or by CP437), Syslinux needs
an adequate font file and the FONT directive.

Of course, if Syslinux starts supporting UTF-8 (for "message" files
and/or for cfg files) in the future, some of the above details might
change.

Best Regards,
Ady.