[syslinux] Display borked when loading FONT

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sat May 25 13:49:37 PDT 2013

> On 25/05/2013 18:37, Ady wrote:
>
> > According to previous posts (by HPA) in this Syslinux mailing list,
> > Syslinux configuration files (and so-called DISPLAY or "message"
> > files too) are parsed using codepage "865" (which is not exactly 100%
> > the same as CP850). CP865 is almost the same as CP437, with the
> > exception of 3 characters.
>
> This is an important information I missed. I was wrongly assuming that the BIOS' default font was used.
>
> Now I am going to reconsider including a FONT directive in isolinux.cfg and a CP437 font in /isolinux, as I did.
>
> (For the records, I won't really miss "¢", '¥' or '»' in isolinux :-)
>
> I will just edit isolinux.cfg message.txt and f*.txt in UTF-8 mode
> and use "iconv" to convert it to CP865.

Hello Didier,

Since you are working on internationalization, I would suggest _not_
dropping the FONT directive for your case. Languages as Cyrillic,
Greek or Portuguese (among others) are not 100% supported in CP865
nor in CP437; and that's before even thinking about the built-in BIOS
language. Additionally, some "accented" uppercase characters are also
not supported in CP437.

I could think of an experiment so to be able to select the adequate
codepage for each language, but I think it would be better if someone
else could post the adequate procedure.

Best Regards,
Ady