[syslinux] syslinux.efi pxeboot across multiple subnets

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 15:26:50 PST 2013

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 5:13 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> Please indicate what version of Syslinux you are using, and also a hint
> at your system configuration.
>
> I presume the packet dump was taken on the server.  They indicate the
> client trying to initiate a TFTP transaction but apparently not getting
> the reply.  This *may* be the same bug that ended up in 6.02 but has
> since been fixed.

In the first example, there are three requests for syslinux.efi spaced
~7ms then ~2146 ms apart.  Presumably, the first two is just the
initial request for size/options then the real request.  I'd say the
EFI system either is unable to retrieve syslinux.efi (perhaps not
appropriately receiving the reply packet; perhaps packet loss or
reordering) or doesn't like something about the file.

Was the exact same client (not just a similar client) used with
syslinux.efi and grub.efi across subnets?  Was this the file specified
in the DHCP replies or are you chainloading it?

You'd probably be better off filtering by client IP rather than just 'port 69'.

--
-Gene