[syslinux] PXE EFI booting - 2 issues!

Andrew Rae A.M.Rae at leeds.ac.uk
Sat Nov 16 15:11:48 PST 2013

Hi,

background:
I've managed to get EFI32, EFI64 and 'BIOS' modes all booting & working from the same TFTP/DHCP server using the setup described in message #10 here: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=720589#10

I'm running this inside VMWare 9 - switching between x86 and x86_64 to check both EFI32 and EFI64, and then another non efi VM for bios.

issue #1:
I can only get this working on 6.02-pre16 and before back to 6.01-pre2, but definitely not working for me on the latest precompiled 6.02 zip & tar.gz.

6.02 seems to produce the same behaviour as this discussion - http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2013-June/020195.html (i checked packet capture, it changes port as described in the posts from June)
I couldn't see any bugs in the bugzilla list about this... wasn't sure if I should just discuss first.

issue #2:
i've tried alsorts... i have a fully working pxe / windows pe boot on 'bios' mode and wanted to replicate over to EFI.
how do i add Windows EFI boot to (vesa)menu  ?
copying the boot file(s) to the tftp server and adding a menu entry like 'KERNEL /Boot//EFI/x64/bootmgfw.efi'
the client just seems to go back to the menu after downloading the file.

I even tried things like an entry for 'PXE 10.10.1.1::Boot/EFI/x64/bootmgfw.efi' pointing at a windows server 2012 with WDS configured, to no avail.

I admit I have searched and searched already hopefully I didn't miss something obvious...... can anyone advise something to try next?

Cheers
Andrew