[syslinux] Booting with Syslinux 6.01 & 6.02 fails, causes restart.

Evert Vorster evorster at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 03:50:51 PST 2013

>> Straight away the booting process looks different than with 4.06.
>> The periods that were showing progress in loading the initramfs now
>> does not increase as the initramfs is loaded. So, only three periods
>> after each initramfs.
>
> That happened in version 5.00.
Good to know that this is expected behavior. However, some sort of
indication that the initramfs is loading would have been nice. Solaris
uses a spinning cursor, for instance. But, this is not important to
the current issue.

>> Once the last initramfs is loaded, the system re-starts.
This is the bit I am having a problem with.

> Are you also doing PXE booting?  This detail seems missing but your
> reference seems to indicate possibly.
No, I am using extlinux/syslinux, as far as I am aware they are the
same things these days.

I am trying to boot a volume that has been partitioned with gpt.
It has a legacy bios boot bit, that is set active. As I said before,
with syslinux/extlinux 4.06 this works flawlessly.

> bios/core/pxelinux.0 or bios/core/lpxelinux.0?  Did you use the
> precompiled binary right after extraction with no make commands?
I compiled from sources.
First gnu-efi, then syslinux. I can provide compile logs if you are interested.

Then I installed with extlinux --install -s /boot
and then copied in gptmbr into /dev/sda

and re-created the initramfs bundle that this distrobution boots from .

Then rebooted.

Thanks for the quick response.
-Evert-