[syslinux] Sysinux 6 will not boot ISOs on BIOS (i.e. pre-UEFI) systems

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 24 05:04:53 PST 2013

> Hi,
>
> Ady wrote:
> > I wonder if isolinux.bin should be limited to max. 16 sectors (of
> > 2KiB each), as that's the default limit in mkisofs "-G
> > <generic_boot_image>" option.
>
> Option -G is not related to the El Torito boot image isolinux.bin.
> It inserts its data into the System Area of the ISO, which is
> indeed limited to 32 KiB.
> Use cases are MBR and other kinds of boot sector or partition table.
>
> CD/DVD booting via BIOS should ignore this area.
> Well ... i am experiencing strange things with repacked archlinux
> ISOs which have no MBR. So "should" might mean "does not".

Yes, we frequently see options like
-b eltorito_boot_image -no-emul-boot

and not -G.

The reason I mentioned "-G" (instead of "-b") is because the limit of
16 sectors is mentioned under that "-G" option at
 http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/man/mkisofs-2.0.html

So, should the eltorito_boot_image for -no-emul-boot (isolinux.bin)
be (better) limited to 16 sectors (for maximum compatibility, for any
optical media type)?

And, is there any method to reduce its size (which in Syslinux 6.02
is bigger than 32KiB)?

Thanks and Best Regards,
Ady.