[syslinux] Sysinux 6 will not boot ISOs on BIOS (i.e. pre-UEFI) systems

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 24 05:29:24 PST 2013

> Their isolinux/isolinux.cfg has
>   DEFAULT loadconfig
>   LABEL loadconfig
>      CONFIG /arch/boot/syslinux/archiso.cfg
> The file arch/boot/syslinux/archiso.cfg is readable too.

IIRC, Arch isolinux/isolinux.cfg should say:
 DEFAULT loadconfig
 LABEL loadconfig
   CONFIG /arch/boot/syslinux/archiso.cfg
   APPEND /arch/

Or it might be using relative paths:
 DEFAULT loadconfig
 LABEL loadconfig
   CONFIG ../syslinux/archiso.cfg
   APPEND ../

Or it might skip /boot/, to use /isolinux/ and /syslinux/ (no parent
/boot/ directory):
 DEFAULT loadconfig
 LABEL loadconfig
   CONFIG /arch/syslinux/archiso.cfg
   APPEND /arch/

My point is, I think you should be seeing an 'APPEND' line too in
that isolinux.cfg file.

Additionally and FWIW, I don't know if the Arch ISO image you have is
using exactly the same Syslinux package version available right now
from Arch Linux (6.02-6 is less than a week old).

Regards,
Ady.