[syslinux] Sysinux 6 will not boot ISOs on BIOS (i.e. pre-UEFI) systems

Philip Müller philm at manjaro.org
Sun Nov 24 02:34:29 PST 2013

On 11/24/2013 09:56 AM, Ady wrote:
>> The very early code that emits this message is *identical* between
>> Syslinux 4 and Syslinux 6.  The biggest difference is the size of
>> isolinux.bin, so it is possible that that might be the source of the
>> problem.
>>
>> 	-hpa
>
> I wonder if isolinux.bin should be limited to max. 16 sectors (of
> 2KiB each), as that's the default limit in mkisofs "-G
> <generic_boot_image>" option.
>
> If that happens to be the case, perhaps there is some additional
> option so to reserve more sectors for the boot image?
>
> Is there any method to reduce the size of isolinux.bin?
>
> Regards,
> Ady.

Hi there,

these are the cmds I'm using now, which are working with syslinux4 just
fine:

     xorriso -as mkisofs ${_qflag} \
             -iso-level 3 -rock -joliet \
             -max-iso9660-filenames -omit-period \
             -omit-version-number \
             -relaxed-filenames -allow-lowercase \
             -volid "${LABEL}" \
             -appid "${APPLICATION}" \
             -publisher "${PUBLISHER}" \
             -preparer "prepared by mkmiso" \
             -eltorito-boot isolinux/isolinux.bin \
             -eltorito-catalog isolinux/boot.cat \
             -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
             -isohybrid-mbr "${work_dir}/iso/isolinux/isohdpfx.bin" \
             ${_iso_efi_boot_args} \
             -output "${imgname}" \
             "${work_dir}/iso/"