[syslinux] Sysinux 6 will not boot ISOs on BIOS (i.e. pre-UEFI) systems

Steve McIntyre steve at einval.com
Mon Nov 25 02:59:01 PST 2013

Thomas wrote:

>Nevertheless, this is the first confirmation that BIOS
>dislikes high block addresses.
>At least the older versions of mkisofs and genisoimage
>do not force the boot images to low addresses.
>I am curious what a mass test with the users will bring.

>From experience of making Debian CDs, we've had bug reports years ago
about buggy BIOS implementations that won't boot images using high
LBAs. For ages, we've been simply using two file trees when creating
CDs, putting boot files into the first one mentioned on the
mkisofs/genisoimage command line. Since we started doing that
workaround, things worked much better.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                steve at einval.com
Support the Campaign for Audiovisual Free Expression: http://www.eff.org/cafe/